Friday, October 2, 2009

La Gallina

I´ve arrived in Santo Domingo, a lovely town marked by a completely unique cathedral. There´s a local legend from the 16th century that tells of a German pilgrim being sent to the gallows after being blackmailed by an innkeeper´s daughter for not sleeping with her. Just before being hung, St. James saved his life miraculously. Upon the false declaration by the town judge that the German was dead, his parents exclaimed: my son is as alive as the rooster and hen on your plate! Just then they sprang to life and quacked their way into infamy. A rooster and hen now perenially live within the cathedral. My albergue houses the backup chickens in its garden.

Tonight at 8:30 there is a choral concert in the cathedral, and afterwards I will take a nocturnal tour at 10 pm. This is most splendid timing. Roberta, the other Brazilian with knee trouble, is staying here as well. It is always nice to have familiar faces around.

I´m incredibly thankful to have met some great new people on the camino; the crowd I am walking with is much younger than I expected, and we´ve bonded together in our desire to save money by cooking communal dinners, often with limited means. Two nights ago, we microwaved our way to simple pasta in tomato sauce and a hearty salad. The dinner was accompanied by wine from a local family owned bodega, where we were given a personal tour. Total cost: three dollars. Yesterday in Azofra, Daniel from Sweden and I were the chefs and we went Mexican style. Pan fried chicken, rice with hot peppers, onions, garlic, potatoes and peas and beans with onion. Most delicious!

The knee is functioning. Though I hoped to take a break in Azofra working at the albergue, I was told my help was not needed. Since the city offered less than an hour´s worth of siteseeing, I walked on to Santo Domingo. I think I´ve actually walked more kilometers with tendonitis than without, and this is encouraging. I´ll likely take my two-day break in Burgos instead.

I´ve dedicated the rest of my pilgrimage to Jay. Please take the time to donate the American Cancer Society in his honor.

(see post below)

No comments:

Post a Comment