Friday, October 2, 2009

Concerning Jay

I dont understand how Facebook, blogs and the internet function when serious events pass. I have this blog, though, that affords me an awkward forum to address normally inconsequential topics, like windy days at the beach or days spent walking. I don´t feel it is an appropriate space to eulogize anyone, especially not someone extremely close to me, but writing about anything else seems irrelevant and irresponsible.

A few days ago a dear, dear friend of mine, Jay Townsend, passed away. Jay was an enigmatic, talented, accepting and loving friend to many, many people. He and I grew extremely close since meeting in 2002 at Rice´s School of Architecture. Over the course of eight years, we were fortunate to produce a healthy body of work together, including various architecture projects, one documentary, one art exhibit, and most recently one pending installation proposal. Each of these projects was an exercise in personal humility; Jay was so brilliantly talented that I simply stood out of his way and happily basked in the credit he was so individually and appropriately due. Thanks for letting me look good, Jay.

I was lucky to spend much of his last few months with him, and am happy to say that he was in great, great spirits. Jay´s death will always be appropriately considered untimely, so I´ll offer a simple, positive toast for Jay: Here´s to a timely life.

No comments:

Post a Comment